- My Name in Chinese
- Chinese Chops
- Chinese Art Scrolls
- Virtue Scrolls
- Single Symbol Scrolls
- Proverb Scrolls
- Poem Scrolls
- Martial Arts Word Scrolls
- Samurai Code Calligraphy
- Bible Verse Scrolls
- Adoption Scrolls
- Contact Us
This 1 Timothy 2 Bible study contains study questions, and verse by verse observations. Feel free to print them, copy them, or share them. I only ask that you remember these are are personal study notes and are only meant as a supplement to your own study, not a replacement. I hope you can find some helpful information inside. Visit our inductive Bible study main page for more studies on this and other books of the Bible.
1 Timothy 2:9-15 - Study Questions and Verse by Verse Notes
Women’s Proper Adornment & Submission
2 Tim2: 9 Likewise, I want women to adorn themselves with proper clothing, modestly and discreetly, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly garments, 10 but rather by means of good works, as is proper for women making a claim to godliness. 11 A woman must quietly receive instruction with entire submissiveness. 12 But I do not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man, but to remain quiet. 13 For it was Adam who was first created, and then Eve. 14 And it was not Adam who was deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression. 15 But women will be preserved through the bearing of children if they continue in faith and love and sanctity with self-restraint.
· 6 WOMAN/WOMEN
· 2 QUIET/QUIETLY
· 2 PROPER
· 2 ADAM
· 2 DECEIVED
· 1 GARMENTS
· 1 CLOTHING
· 1 GOOD WORKS
· 1 ADORN
· 1 GODLINESS
· 1 SUBMISSIVENESS
· 1 TEACH
· 1 EXERCISE AUTHORITY
Women’s Proper Adornment & Behavior
I. Proper Adornment 9-10
II. Proper Submission 11-12
III. Basis for Submission 13-15
Cross References, Questions, Observations
9. Likewise, I want women to adorn themselves with proper clothing, modestly and discreetly, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly garments,
· Adorn – kosmeo» - to put in order, arrange, make ready, prepare to ornament, adore metaph. to embellish with honour, gain honour
· Modest – aido»s - a sense of shame or honour, modesty, bashfulness, reverence, regard for others, respect
· Discreet - so»phrosune» - soundness of mind self-control, sobriety
1 Peter 3:3 Your adornment must not be merely external—braiding the hair, and wearing gold jewelry, or putting on dresses; 4 but let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the imperishable quality of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is precious in the sight of God. 5 For in this way in former times theholy women also, who hoped in God, used to adorn themselves, being submissive to their own husbands; 6 just as Sarah obeyed Abraham, calling him lord, and you have become her children if you do what is right without being frightened by any fear.
1 Corinthians 12:22-24
22 On the contrary, the parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, 23 and on those parts of the body that we think less honorable we bestow the greater honor, and our unpresentable parts are treated with greater modesty, 24 which our more presentable parts do not require. But God has so composed the body, giving greater honor to the part that lacked it,
1 Samuel 16:7?But the LORD said to Samuel, “Do not look at his appearance or at the height of his stature, because I have rejected him; for God sees not as man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.”
Job 31:1 “I have made a covenant with my eyes; How then could I gaze at a virgin?
a) Why do many women put so much emphasis on external adornment?
b) What specifically is modest adornment?
c) Is modesty cultural or Biblical?
d) Why is modesty important? (Ask women first)
1) First century women often wove gold, pearls or other jewelry into their hair to draw attention to their wealth or beauty. Braiding their hair in this manner or wearing costly clothes would detract people’s attention away from the Lord and could cause the poorer women to be envious.
2) The world says that ladies should do just the opposite. The major emphasis in the world is on the physical.
· Fashion clothes
· Revealing clothes
· Skin treatments
10. but rather by means of good works, as is proper for women making a claim to godliness.
· Godliness – theosebeia - reverence towards God's goodness
16 Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.
1 Peter 3:4-6
4 but let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the imperishable quality of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is precious in the sight of God. 5 For in this way in former times the holy women also, who hoped in God, used to adorn themselves, being submissive to their own husbands; 6 just as Sarah obeyed Abraham, calling him lord, and you have become her children if you do what is right without being frightened by any fear.
1 Peter 3:1-2
1 In the same way, you wives, be submissive to your own husbands so that even if any of them are disobedient to the word, they may be won without a word by the behavior of their wives, 2 as they observe your chaste and respectful behavior.
a) What good works should women excel in?
b) How do you make a claim to godliness?
1) Let’s face it. No matter how beautiful or handsome she or he is now, one day, if they’re not raptured and they don’t die early, they will be old and wrinkled.
11. A woman must quietly receive instruction with entire submissiveness.
· Submissiveness - hupotage» - the act of subjecting obedience, subjection
1 Cor 14:34 The women are to keep silent in the churches; for they are not permitted to speak, but are to subject themselves, just as the Law also says. 35 If they desire to learn anything, let them ask their own husbands at home; for it is improper for a woman to speak in church.
1 Corinthians 11:3
3 But I want you to understand that Christ is the head of every man, and the man is the head of a woman, and God is the head of Christ.
18 Wives, be subject to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord.
20 When the king’s edict which he will make is heard throughout all his kingdom, great as it is, then all women will give honor to their husbands, great and small.”
Eph 5:22 Wives, be subject to your own husbands, as to the Lord. 23 For the husband is the head of the wife, as Christ also is the head of the church, He Himself being the Savior of the body. 24 But as the church is subject to Christ, so also the wives ought to be to their husbands in everything.
1 Peter 3:1
1 In the same way, you wives, be submissive to your own husbands so that even if any of them are disobedient to the word, they may be won without a word by the behavior of their wives,
a) From whom?
b) When should there be an exception to this principle?
1) Though the women were not allowed to teach the men, the instruction was nonetheless available to them and they, as well as the men, were to be diligent in learning the Scriptures.
12. But I do not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man, but to remain quiet.
· Teach - didasko» - to teach to hold discourse with others in order to instruct them, deliver didactic discourses to be a teacher to discharge the office of a teacher, conduct one's self as a teacher to teach one to impart instruction instill doctrine into one the thing taught or enjoined to explain or expound a thing to teach one something
· Exercise authority over - authenteo» - one who with his own hands kills another or himself one who acts on his own authority, autocratic an absolute master to govern, exercise dominion over one
Titus 2:5 to be sensible, pure, workers at home, kind, being subject to their own husbands, so that the word of God will not be dishonored.
13 Now there were at Antioch, in the church that was there, prophets and teachers: Barnabas, and Simeon who was called Niger, and Lucius of Cyrene, and Manaen who had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch, and Saul.
1 Corinthians 12:28
28 And God has appointed in the church, first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, various kinds of tongues.
11 And He gave some as apostles, and some as prophets, and some as evangelists, and some as pastors and teachers,
a) Why not say that God doesn’t allow it or it is forbidden?
b) How would you answer someone who said that it was just a cultural issue for Paul’s time and not applicable to our culture today?
c) In what context is it not allowed?
d) What about a woman leading singing?
e) What about a woman teaching “children’s church” in front of the whole congregation?
f) What about a woman teaching a mixed adult Sunday School class?
g) What about a woman teaching, but under a man’s authority like a husband and wife teaching a couples’ class?
h) What about a woman serving as an elder?
i) What about a woman serving as a deaconess?
j) What about a woman sharing her testimony before the congregation?
k) What about a woman giving the corporate prayer?
l) What about a woman giving announcements?
m) What about a woman serving communion?
n) Let’s see if we can come up with a general guideline that deals with all church related situations.
13. For it was Adam who was first created, and then Eve.
Gen 2:18 Then the Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him.” 19 Out of the ground the Lord God formed every beast of the field and every bird of the sky, and brought them to the man to see what he would call them; and whatever the man called a living creature, that was its name. 20 The man gave names to all the cattle, and to the birds of the sky, and to every beast of the field, but for Adam there was not found a helper suitable for him.
1 Cor 11: 8 For man does not originate from woman, but woman from man; 9 for indeed man was not created for the woman’s sake, but woman for the man’s sake.
Deuteronomy 21:17?But he shall acknowledge the firstborn, the son of the unloved, by giving him a double portion of all that he has, for he is the beginning of his strength; to him belongs the right of the firstborn.
a) What’s the significance of Adam being first created?
1) Being last in creation is a reason for the woman’s submission.
2) The firstborn typically had priority and received preferential treatment.
3) The reason for the woman’s role in the church has its basis prior to the fall.
14. And it was not Adam who was deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression.
· Deceived - apatao» - to cheat, beguile, deceive
Gen 3:4 The serpent said to the woman, “You surely will not die! 5 For God knows that in the day you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.” 6 When the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was desirable to make one wise, she took from its fruit and ate; and she gave also to her husband with her, and he ate. 12 The man said, “The woman whom You gave to be with me, she gave me from the tree, and I ate.”
2 Corinthians 11:3
3 But I am afraid that, as the serpent deceived Eve by his craftiness, your minds will be led astray from the simplicity and purity of devotion to Christ.
a) Why would this be a basis to not allow women to teach or exercise authority over a man?
1) Being more susceptible to deception is a reason for the woman’s submission.
2) Being first in transgression is a reason for the woman’s submission.
15. But women will be preserved through the bearing of children if they continue in faith and love and sanctity with self-restraint.
· Preserved - so»zo» - to save, keep safe and sound, to rescue from danger or destruction one (from injury or peril) to save a suffering one (from perishing), i.e. one suffering from disease, to make well, heal, restore to health to preserve one who is in danger of destruction, to save or rescue to save in the technical biblical sense negatively 1b to deliver from the penalties of the Messianic judgment 1b to save from the evils which obstruct the reception of the Messianic
Gen 3:16 To the woman He said,
“I will greatly multiply
Your pain in childbirth,
In pain you will bring forth children;
Yet your desire will be for your husband,
And he will rule over you.”
Matt 1:20 But when he had considered this, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, “ Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary as your wife; for the Child who has been conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit. 21 She will bear a Son; and you shall call His name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins.”
2 Tim 1:5 For I am mindful of the sincere faith within you, which first dwelt in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice, and I am sure that it is in you as well.
a) What does this verse mean?
1) This seems to be a word of encouragement to women after communicating their difficult role of submission in the church. Though they initially led the human race into sin, because they have such a vital role in child rearing in the home, they can be instrumental in influencing their children to lead godly lives.
1. For you single guys, what attributes in a women draw your interest? Hopefully, it’s the inner adornment of a godly life.
2. Ladies, what are your most important criteria in selecting your wardrobe?
12 But I do not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man, but to remain quiet.
A woman’s beauty must be spiritual not physical and her role in the church should be characterized by quiet submission rather than seeking authority or teaching.
If you enjoyed these study questions and notes for 1 Timothy 2, visit our hundreds of inductive Bible study notes, topical Bible fellowship study guides, verse lists, and character studies verse by verse and chapter by chapter.