- My Name in Chinese
- Chinese Chops
- Chinese Art Scrolls
- Virtue Scrolls
- Single Symbol Scrolls
- Proverb Scrolls
- Poem Scrolls
- Martial Arts Word Scrolls
- Samurai Code Calligraphy
- Bible Verse Scrolls
- Adoption Scrolls
- Contact Us
These small group study notes contain outlines, cross-references, Bible study discussion questions, lessons to learn, and applications. Feel free to print them, copy them, or share them. I only ask that you remember these are are personal study notes and are only meant as a supplement to your own study, not a replacement. May God be glorified! Visit our inductive Bible study main page for more studies on this and other books of the Bible.
2 Corinthians 1:12-24 Inductive Bible Study - Outline, Key Words, Cross References, and Discussion Questions
2 Cor 1:12-24
12 For our proud confidence is this: the testimony of our conscience, that in holiness and godly sincerity, not in fleshly wisdom but in the grace of God, we have conducted ourselves in the world, and especially toward you. 13 For we write nothing else to you than what you read and understand, and I hope you will understand until the end; 14 just as you also partially did understand us, that we are your reason to be proud as you also are ours, in the day of our Lord Jesus.
15 In this confidence I intended at first to come to you, so that you might twice receive a blessing; 16 that is, to pass your way into Macedonia, and again from Macedonia to come to you, and by you to be helped on my journey to Judea. 17 Therefore, I was not vacillating when I intended to do this, was I? Or what I purpose, do I purpose according to the flesh, so that with me there will be yes, yes and no, no at the same time? 18 But as God is faithful, our word to you is not yes and no. 19 For the Son of God, Christ Jesus, who was preached among you by us — by me and Silvanus and Timothy — was not yes and no, but is yes in Him. 20 For as many as are the promises of God, in Him they are yes; therefore also through Him is our Amen to the glory of God through us. 21 Now He who establishes us with you in Christ and anointed us is God, 22 who also sealed us and gave us the Spirit in our hearts as a pledge.
23 But I call God as witness to my soul, that to spare you I did not come again to Corinth. 24 Not that we lord it over your faith, but are workers with you for your joy; for in your faith you are standing firm.
· Proud 2
· Confidence 2
· You 21
· Yes 6
· Understand 3
I. Paul’s conduct 12-14
II. Paul’s integrity 15-19
III. Paul’s conflict 20-24
1. Why did Paul change his plans about coming to see the Corinthians?
2. Explain what he means by, “In Him they are yes”.
3. List some ways from this passage that Paul communicated his love for the Corinthians.
4. What is meant that the Spirit seals us and is given to us as a pledge?
5. In what way is Paul proud of the Corinthians and were they proud of him?
6. Who were Paul’s witnesses?
7. How important is sincerity and honesty in relationships today?
Observations / Comments
1. Our lives should be a blessing to those about us.
2. Unbelievers often do not speak the truth, but say whatever they think will be advantageous for them.
3. Christ is the agent by Whom He fulfills His promises to us.
4. Why would Paul have felt compelled to rebuke them if he visited them again?
5. The world’s wisdom at times seems to make sense, but when closely examined and compared with the Scriptures, its foolishness is quickly evident.
12. Rom 16:19
19 For the report of your obedience has reached to all; therefore I am rejoicing over you, but I want you to be wise in what is good and innocent in what is evil.
2 Cor 11:3 But I am afraid that, as the serpent deceived Eve by his craftiness, your minds will be led astray from the simplicity and purity of devotion to Christ.
Col 2:20 If you have died with Christ to the elementary principles of the world, why, as if you were living in the world, do you submit yourself to decrees, such as, 21 "Do not handle, do not taste, do not touch!" 22(which all refer to things destined to perish with use) — in accordance with the commandments and teachings of men? 23 These are matters which have, to be sure, the appearance of wisdom in self-made religion and self-abasement and severe treatment of the body, but are of no value against fleshly indulgence.
1 Cor 2:13 which things we also speak, not in words taught by human wisdom, but in those taught by the Spirit, combining spiritual thoughts with spiritual words.
2 Cor 10:3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh, 4 for the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh, but divinely powerful for the destruction of fortresses.
13. 2 Cor 4:2 but we have renounced the things hidden because of shame, not walking in craftiness or adulterating the word of God, but by the manifestation of truth commending ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of God.
14. Philem 7 For I have come to have much joy and comfort in your love, because the hearts of the saints have been refreshed through you, brother.
26 so that your proud confidence in me may abound in Christ Jesus through my coming to you again.
15. 1 Cor 4:19 But I will come to you soon, if the Lord wills, and I shall find out, not the words of those who are arrogant but their power.
25 Convinced of this, I know that I will remain and continue with you all for your progress and joy in the faith, 26 so that your proud confidence in me may abound in Christ Jesus through my coming to you again.
16. Acts 19:21 Now after these things were finished, Paul purposed in the Spirit to go to Jerusalem after he had passed through Macedonia and Achaia, saying, "After I have been there, I must also see Rome." 22 And having sent into Macedonia two of those who ministered to him, Timothy and Erastus, he himself stayed in Asia for a while.
17. Zeph 3:44 Her prophets are reckless, treacherous men;
Her priests have profaned the sanctuary.
They have done violence to the law.
Matt 12:36 "But I tell you that every careless word that people speak, they shall give an accounting for it in the day of judgment.
18. Num 23:19 " God is not a man, that He should lie,
Nor a son of man, that He should repent;
Has He said, and will He not do it?
Or has He spoken, and will He not make it good?
John 8:26 "I have many things to speak and to judge concerning you, but He who sent Me is true; and the things which I heard from Him, these I speak to the world."
Prov 22:1A good name is to be more desired than great wealth,
Favor is better than silver and gold.
Matt 27:63 and said, "Sir, we remember that when He was still alive that deceiver said, ' After three days I am to rise again.'
19. John 14:6 Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.
Matt 3:17 and behold, a voice out of the heavens said, " This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well-pleased."
Matt 17:5 While he was still speaking, a bright cloud overshadowed them, and behold, a voice out of the cloud said, " This is My beloved Son, with whom I am well-pleased; listen to Him!"
20. Gen 3:15 And I will put enmity
Between you and the woman,
And between your seed and her seed;
He shall bruise you on the head,
And you shall bruise him on the heel."
10 " The scepter shall not depart from Judah,
Nor the ruler's staff from between his feet,
Until Shiloh comes,
And to him shall be the obedience of the peoples.
John 1:17 For the Law was given through Moses; grace and truth were realized through Jesus Christ.
21. 1 Peter 5:10 After you have suffered for a little while, the God of all grace, who called you to His eternal glory in Christ, will Himself perfect, confirm, strengthen and establish you.
1 Thess 3:13 so that He may establish your hearts without blame in holiness before our God and Father at the coming of our Lord Jesus with all His saints.
John 3:34 "For He whom God has sent speaks the words of God; for He gives the Spirit without measure.
22. Eph 1:13 In Him, you also, after listening to the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation — having also believed, you were sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit of promise, 14 who is given as a pledge of our inheritance, with a view to the redemption of God's own possession, to the praise of His glory.
Eph 4:30 Do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.
Rev 9:4 They were told not to hurt the grass of the earth, nor any green thing, nor any tree, but only the men who do not have the seal of God on their foreheads.
23. Rom 1:9 For God, whom I serve in my spirit in the preaching of the gospel of His Son, is my witness as to how unceasingly I make mention of you,
Phil 1:8 For God is my witness, how I long for you all with the affection of Christ Jesus.
1 Thess 2:5 For we never came with flattering speech, as you know, nor with a pretext for greed — God is witness —
24. 1 Cor 3:5 What then is Apollos? And what is Paul? Servants through whom you believed, even as the Lord gave opportunity to each one. 6 I planted, Apollos watered, but God was causing the growth. 7 So then neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but God who causes the growth.
1 Peter 5:3 nor yet as lording it over those allotted to your charge, but proving to be examples to the flock.
Mark 10:42 Calling them to Himself, Jesus said to them, "You know that those who are recognized as rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them; and their great men exercise authority over them. 43 "But it is not this way among you, but whoever wishes to become great among you shall be your servant; 44 and whoever wishes to be first among you shall be slave of all . 45 "For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many."
2 Cor 1:18 But as God is faithful, our word to you is not yes and no.
Simple, straightforward, honest communication is essential to establishing any deep, trusting, and enduring relationships.
Application - You Make Your Own!
Click Links Below For Passage by Passage Studies of 2 Corinthians - Cross-References, Outlines, Key Words, and Discussion Questions.
Or go to the resources tab on the right and then click on Inductive Bible Study Notes.